Stripe: How to manually update subscription payment methods
In order to manually update a payment method to Stripe you’ll need to gather these pieces of information from your Stripe Dashboard:
- Customer ID: This is a unique identifier for your student
- Source ID: This is a unique identifier for a payment source (most commonly a credit card)
When a student subscribes on the front-end of your site this information is gathered and stored automatically but you can create new cards and customers manually via the Stripe dashboard.
On your Stripe Dashboard:
- Navigate to Customers
- Click the “New” button on the right-hand side of the screen
- Enter and email address and optional description for the customer. This email address should match the email address your student registered with in LifterLMS.
- Click “Create Customer” to save the customer
You may now click on the customer’s email address to get their Customer ID. On this screen:
- Locate “Details”
- Copy the “ID”
- This ID will start with “cus_” followed by some letters and numbers
This is the ID to use in your LifterLMS order’s Customer ID field!
To add a credit card you must have a customer already. You may either create a new customer by following the steps above or attach a new card to an existing customer.
Note: Any order initiated by a student with Stripe as the payment method will already have a customer in Stripe!
You can locate an existing customer by searching by email address or customer ID on your Stripe Dashboard.
To add a new card, navigate to the Customer screen for the customer on your Stripe Dashboard:
- Under “Cards” click “Add Card”
- Enter the credit card information and click “Add Card”
- You can now expand the newly added credit card row
- The first item will be the card ID. It will say “card_” followed by a string of numbers and letters.
This is the Source ID you should use in your LifterLMS order’s Source ID field!