Integrate LifterLMS with an Experience API (Tin Can) service. Manage your LifterLMS competencies and activities, your H5P Content, as well as uploaded and linked Articulate, Captivate, iSpring or Lectora e-learning courses.
Designed for use with any xAPI compliant remote LRS service
What is an xAPI remote service?
An xAPI remote service is a separate server – you must subscribe to that other vendors service separately.
The advantage of using an external LRS service is that your uploaded e-learning can be viewed offline and can synchronize again with the LRS without the user being logged into your WordPress site if that e-learning product supports offline tracking.
Why use an external xAPI LRS service rather than a service built into LifterLMS xAPI?
An LRS is your gateway to a whole Learning Eco-system.
Learning doesn’t just happen in your LMS, it occurs everywhere!
xAPI opens the doors to your students learning anywhere and everywhere and your LRS is where all the learning information gets stored without having your students log into your LifterLMS platform.
Imagine creating an email based course where your students receive a LifterLMS notification when a course opens up. The notification has a link in it having them download a mobile app. That mobile app installs and opens for the student to follow some direction and interact with the mobile app.
That mobile app can be a game, a location based app, or even a simple button they push.
The data collected from that app can be a in-depth (i.e. Dennis Hall pushed the button at this location), or a simple as you want (i.e. Dennis Hall pushed the button).
Take that simple app and apply it to a classroom scenario outside the LMS (i.e. Dennis Hall pushed the button at Classroom 1).
With LifterLMS xAPI, you can now think outside the box and create greater experiences for your students.
What is the difference between SCORM and xAPI?
SCORM was a standard that required that your student only learn within your LMS. If the student was not logged into the LMS, they could not use SCORM content (with the exception of a few custom SROM course players built for specific LMS systems).
SCORM would not allow your student to learn offline or record they found an answer on a website and record the URL and date/time they found the answer.
SCORM would not let your user start a course in your LMS, take the course offline, then return to your LMS later to see their online/offline results.
SCORM required you store learning records in your local LMS database (except for some custom LMS systems) and then only allowed you to report on a part of that data, not all of it. Reporting was the main challenge in SCORM and the primary reason xAPI was developed – to escape the LMS and increase access to reporting data.
Where SCORM was considered the lowest common denominator for collecting a reporting data, xAPI is the exact opposite.
LifterLMS xAPI can allow you to send as little or a much reporting data to an LRS as you wish. If that data were to reside in your local WordPress database; and you have chosen to collect large quantities of data, it could potentially bring your server to its knees.
LifterLMS xAPI ensures your website remains light and fast by not bogging down your LifterLMS database with xAPI learning records stored and reported locally.
By using an external LRS database and reporting service, we’ve removed any custom hosting requirements so you can continue hosting LifterLMS in a standard hosting account.
Please refer to LifterLMS xAPI works with… below to see the LRS services LifterLMS has been tested with.
The ability to report to any LRS through xAPI (TinCan) from any of the following content types:
- LifterLMS courses, lessons, quizes and quiz questions
- Uploaded elearning courses built with authoring tools such as, but not limited to, Aticulate Storyline 360, Storyline 2, Studio 2, Studio 360, Captivate, Lectora, iSpring and any other product that produces an xAPI 1.0 or above outputted ZIP file
- Linked web pages, content or courses that reside anywhere online and allow you to use or resell them
- H5P content (rich interactive content) for tracking videos, video interactions, and any H5P content that send a completion status
- LifterLMS YouTube and Vimeo native Embed Video URLs (embedded in Lessons) as well as YouTube and Vimeo URLs added into the post content (via the “Add Media” button).
- Connect LifterLMS with the Zappier Services through your LRS service (Integration is performed in the LRS, not LifterLMS or LifterLMS xAPI).
Control your LifterLMS lesson progression from your uploaded or linked e-learning, your LifterLMS embedded Vimeo videos, YouTube videos, your embedded H5P interactions, or any combination of these in the same lesson.
LifterLMS xAPI removes the Mark Complete button until the xAPI content, H5P content, or videos send a completed status. You control this feature from any single xAPI content item you choose, or control it at the lesson level.
- Create your own custom competencies and assign them to any course, lesson, quiz or question
- Assign your competencies to any xAPI content (including uploaded or linked content)
- Assign your competencies to ADL activity ID’s for each content type listed above
- Create your own reports in your LRS
- Make your LRS Reporting data more human readable
- Visualize your reporting data in your LRS
- Export your reports from your LRS
- Turn on or off reporting for each LifterLMS course, lesson, quiz, question or uploaded or linked e-learning course in LifterLMS.
LifterLMS xAPI works with…
LifterLMS xAPI has been tested with LearningLocker versions 1 and 2 (open-source and SaaS versions), GrassBlade (locally and remotely installed and SaaS versions), WaterShed (Premium and Essentials versions), and WaxLRS (Premium and Explore versions) – Note: At this time, the WaxLRS dashboard cannot be viewed inside the LifterLMS xAPI dashboard widget.
There may be other LRS systems that LifterLMS xAPI works with. As we test LifterLMS xAPI with other LRs systems, they will be posted here and the integration details will be posted in the LifterLMS xAPI docs.